[gpga-news] PrsRls: Georgia Greens Welcome McKinney's Entry to Race

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Mon May 21 06:40:08 PDT 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Monday, May 21st, 2012

For further information, contact:
    Bruce Dixon, 678-298-9463 x3
    bdixon at GeorgiaGreenParty.org
    Press Secretary, Georgia Green Party

Georgia Greens Welcome McKinney's Entry to Race
Green Party to meet in Nominating Convention June 2nd

Following weeks of rumors and media reports about her intentions, Stone
Mountain, Georgia resident Cynthia McKinney, a six term member of the
U.S. Congress and the 2008 Green Party nominee for President of the
United States has filed an FEC-1 "Statement of Organization".  In this
filing she declares her intention to seek the nomination of the Georgia
Green Party for Congress of the United States.

"Greens welcome Ms. McKinney's entry into the race," said Adam Shapiro,
chair of the Georgia Green Party.  "We hope we can work together to
restore to the Fourth Congressional District leadership committed to
expeditiously ending this nation's illegal and immoral wars."

The Georgia Green Party will convene its Nominating Convention on
Saturday June 2nd, 2012, from 10am till 4pm at the Tucker-Reid H. Cofer
Public Library; 5234 LaVista Road; Tucker, GA 30084.  This Convention
is expected to consider endorsing former state party cochair Denice
Traina in her bid for election to the nonpartisan Augusta-Richmond
County commission.  In addition, the Party anticipates considering the
nominations of both Ms. McKinney in her bid for Georgia's Fourth
Congressional District and Kwabena Nkromo who has announced his
intention to seek the Party's nomination for the State Assembly in
District #57.

In addition to securing the support of Delegates to the June 2nd
Convention, in order to appear as Greens on the Georgia ballot, these
partisan candidates are also required to file petitions with signatures
representing 5% of the number of voters who are registered and eligible
to vote in November's General Election.  This ballot access standard is
ten times the national average and according to Richard Winger, editor
of Ballot Access News, constitutes the highest barrier to participation
in the world, when comparing all countries which conduct contested
elections.  The filing deadline is in 76 days.

"We will not succeed in placing Green candidates on the Georgia ballot
without the participation of citizens willing to carry our ballot
access petitions," said Al Herman, Secretary-Treasurer of the Georgia
Party.  "We face an near-impossible barrier and a short timeline.
We're inviting Greens and others from around the nation to come to
Georgia to help us surmount these barriers.  We're asking Greens in
Georgia to open their homes to host our out-of-state volunteers."

The Georgia Green Party has organized since before its first filing
with the Secretary of State in 1996.  The Party organizes to inject
Green values of peace and non-violence, social justice, grassroots
democracy and ecological wisdom into the public policy making process.

-- 30 --

http://georgiagreenparty.org/
http://georgiagreenparty.org/NC2012/Notice
http://runcynthiarun.org/