[gpga-news] PrsRls: Georgia Green Party announces 2012 State Nominating Convention

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Fri May 4 08:34:33 PDT 2012

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Thursday, May 3rd, 2012

For further information, contact:
    Bruce Dixon, 678-298-9463 x3
    bdixon at GeorgiaGreenParty.org
    Press Secretary, Georgia Green Party

Georgia Green Party announces 2012 State Nominating Convention

Plans are being finalized for the Seventeenth Annual Meeting of the
Georgia Green Party, scheduled for Saturday, June 2nd, 2012. State
Party officers announced their intention to publish the legal notice
necessary to permit the Party to nominate candidates in this year's
partisan races for public office.

This year's Nominating Convention will take place at the Tucker-Reid H.
Cofer Public Library (5234 LaVista Road; Tucker, GA 30084), with
business starting promptly at 10:00 am and adjournment anticipated for
4:30 pm Delegates will be seated consistent with the Nominating
Convention Rules, on file with the Secretary of State and accessible
online at:
	http://www.greens.org/georgia.static/pdf/GvrnDocs/GGP-NC-Rules.pdf.

The Convention is empowered by the Party Rules to consider proposed
amendments to the state Party Platform and bylaws, the election of
internal Party officers and Delegates to the National Committee, the
consideration of candidates seeking the endorsement or nomination of
the Party, and other business. The public is welcome.

The DeKalb County Green Party anticipates soon announcing its second
annual meeting, since being reorganized last year. Greens in Fulton
County have filed paperwork to organize a new affiliate and have
previously published notice of a meeting scheduled for this Saturday.
Discussions are under way about parallel meetings in other Georgia
counties.

"We as a Party have been rebuilding from the days when we staffed an
office and regularly contested the elections, the austerity policies
and the ballot access barriers arrayed before us," said Adam Shapiro,
Chair of the Georgia Green Party. "We have high confidence that this
week's announcement that Denice Traina is seeking election in Richmond
County is the first of many such campaign announcements we have to
share in the days to come. Its an exciting year to be a Green in
Georgia."

The 2012 Nominating Convention
of the Georgia Green Party
will take place at:

Tucker-Reid H. Cofer Library
5234 LaVista Road; Tucker, GA 30084
Directions: 770.270.8234

Our venue is an eight minute walk from the #75 Tucker bus line,
departing from the Avondale MARTA station at 45 minute intervals on
Saturdays. The 9:15 bus will get bus riders to the venue in time for
the start of business.

-- 30 --