[gpga-news] PrsRls: Green Party endorses Durban+10 Coalition, Urges Action on Durban Declaration

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Fri Sep 2 23:46:23 PDT 2011

The Green Party of the United States endorses the Durban+10 Coalition,
marking the 10th anniversary of the 2001 World Conference Against Racism

GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
http://www.gp.org

For Immediate Release:
Friday, September 2, 2011

Contacts:
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator,
	202-518-5624, cell 202-904-7614, mclarty at greens.org

Starlene Rankin, Media Coordinator,
	916-995-3805, starlene at gp.org

Green Party Speakers Bureau: Green leaders available to speak
on international and human rights issues
http://www.gp.org/speakers

WASHINGTON, DC -- The Green Party of the United States has endorsed the
Durban+10 Coalition and its efforts to enact the agenda of the 2001
World Conference Against Racism, which took place in Durban, South
Africa. The goal of the Durban conference was "to eradicate racial
discrimination, inequity, colonialism, xenophobia and related
intolerances" throughout the world.

The full text of the resolution adopted on August 28, 2011 by the
National Committee of the Green Party of the United States, with
supporting information, can be read here:
http://green.gpus.org/cgi-bin/vote/propdetail?pid=616

The 2001 Durban conference drew participation from the nations of the
world, despite attempts by the Bush Administration to undermine the
event and refusal by the Bush-Powell State Department to attend. The
Obama-Clinton State Department has maintained a similarly dismissive
position on the conference.

"In this International Year for People of African Descent proclaimed by
the UN General Assembly during its 64th session held in 2009, we in the
Green Party hope that public officials and politicians, including
President Obama, who are celebrating the new Martin Luther King, Jr.
National Memorial will demonstrate their dedication to Dr. King's
principles and embrace the Durban conference and its goals," said
Denice Traina, former co-chair of the Georgia Green Party
(http://www.greens.org/georgia).

The Durban+10 Coalition, an alliance of non-governmental organizations
from the US and worldwide (http://www.durban10coalition.com), supports
the UN General Assembly's plan for a meeting of heads of state to
commemorate the 10th anniversary of the adoption of the Durban
Declaration and Programme of Action
(http://www.un.org/durbanreview2009/pdf/DDPA_full_text.pdf), to take
place on September 22, 2011 with the theme "Victims of racism, racial
discrimination, xenophobia and related intolerance: recognition,
justice and development."

In June, the Obama White House, in a conference call briefing attended
by Green Party co-chair Theresa El-Amin, announced its withdrawal from
the September 22 meeting. (See "Greens urge Obama to reverse decision
to shun the third World Conference against Racism," Green Party press
release, June 8, 2011, http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=428).

"The Durban conference's agenda challenges the violations of the rights
of immigrants, indigenous peoples, African-descendant people, and
others that continue in the US, as well as US aid for Israel's
suppression of human rights and self-determination for Palestinians.
The Green Party's principles and platform are in harmony with the
Durban agenda," said Thomas Muhammad, co-chair of the Green Party Black
Caucus (http://www.gp.org/caucuses/black/index.php).

"We support amnesty for undocumented immigrants and oppose xenophobic
new laws in states like Arizona. We endorse reparations for the
descendents of people held in slavery. We fiercely oppose the war on
drugs and private prison industry, which have resulted in the
incarceration of record numbers of Americans -- mostly black and brown
young people -- in order to boost corporate profits and provide a new
form of slave labor. We support statehood for the residents of the
District of Columbia, whose black-majority population deserves the same
self-governance, constitutional rights, and congressional
representations as all other Americans. We have endorsed boycott,
divestment, and sanctions as a means to press Israel to cease its
brutal treatment of Palestinians," added Mr. Muhammad.

In August 2001, the party urged the Bush Administration to send a US
delegation to the first Durban meeting
(http://www.gp.org/press/pr_08_13_01.html). In April 2009, the Green
Party called for US participation in the Durban Review Conference
(http://www.gp.org/press/pr-national.php?ID=204). Greens attended both
meetings.

"We had such hope those days in Durban," said Rev. Zack Lyde, a
Missionary Baptist pastor, lifetime resident of Brunswick Georgia, and
former chair of the Georgia Green Party who ran three times for public
office on the Green ticket. Rev. Lyde participated in the 2001 Durban
conference. "It is absolutely disheartening ten years later to see my
state subject one in thirteen Georgians to judicial supervision, to
round up our immigrant neighbors for deportation, to bankrupt our
schools to fund these destructive public policies of mass
incarceration. The klansman's lie of white supremacy continues to wrap
itself in new robes, but its chameleon like nature fools no one in
these rural communities; no one who has eyes to see."

MORE INFORMATION

Green Party of the United States
http://www.gp.org * 202-319-7191

Green candidate database and campaign information:
http://www.gp.org/elections.shtml
News Center http://www.gp.org/newscenter.shtml
Speakers Bureau http://www.gp.org/speakers
Ballot Access Page http://www.gp.org/ballotstatus
Livestream Channel http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus
Video Page http://www.gp.org/video/index.php

Green Party Black Caucus
http://www.gp.org/caucuses/black/index.php

Green Party International Committee
http://www.gp.org/committees/intl

Press conferences, forums, and other events at the Green Party's 2011
Annual National Meeting in Alfred, NY, broadcast and archived on the
Green Party's Livestream Channel
http://www.livestream.com/greenpartyus

2011 Annual National Meeting
http://nygreenfest.org

Green Pages: The official publication of record of the Green Party of
the United States (Summer 2011 issue now online)
http://gp.org/greenpages-blog

~ END ~

___

Disclaimer: State, local, and candidate press releases made available
here represent the opinions of the original source only.  Opinions
expressed by a state party or candidate do not necessarily represent
the views of the Green Party of the United States. State party contact
information, when provided with candidate releases, does not imply
state party endorsement of the opinions expressed nor of the candidate
(prior to gaining formal nomination by the party). ___

Office: PO Box 57065 Washington, D.C. 20037
Email: GPHQ--at--gp.org 202-319-7191 or toll-free (US): 866-41GREEN