[gpga-news] AJC: Joetavious Stafford Shot in Back by MARTA Police Officer Robert Waldo

Hugh Esco hesco at greens.org
Thu Oct 20 21:53:51 PDT 2011

Autopsy: Man shot in chest, back by MARTA officer
By George Mathis, The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/autopsy-man-shot-in-1202221.html

The man shot and killed Saturday night by a MARTA police officer was
shot once in the chest and twice in the back, medical examiners said
Tuesday.

MARTA MARTA spokeswoman Cara Hodgson said Monday that Officer Robert
Waldo fired the shots that killed Joetavius Stafford, 19, of Atlanta
late Saturday night.

Joetavious Stafford, 19, of Atlanta, was killed by officer Robert
Waldo, 31, outside the Vine City train station at about 10:20 p.m.,
MARTA has said.

Fulton County Chief Medical Examiner Randy Hanzlick, in a press
release, wrote, "There were three gunshot entry wounds. There were no
exit wounds and three bullets were recovered. One of the entry wounds
was located on the left front chest area, another was on the left side
of the mid-back, and the third was near the mid-lower back. The autopsy
does not provide information to indicate Joetavious’ body position when
he was shot or the order in which the shots occurred. None of the entry
wounds appear to be close range or contact wounds. The cause of death
is gunshot wounds of the torso."

Full results of the autopsy, conducted Sunday by Deputy Chief Medical
Examiner Michele Stauffenberg, were not released.

Waldo has been placed on administrative leave with pay pending an
investigation.

MARTA, on Monday, said Stafford was armed.

"We think this was a legitimate and justified [shooting] incident,"
MARTA spokesman Lyle Harris said.

The shooting happened near the Georgia Dome where high school football
games were played Saturday night.

Stafford's brother, Rodney Stafford told Channel 2 Action News that his
sibling was involved in a melee when a shot was fired by somebody in
the crowd. He contends that Waldo ran toward the fight and shot his
brother after he halted.

"My brother threw his hands up. MARTA police shot him in the back.
Pow," Stafford told Channel 2. "And my brother lying on the ground,
just looking at me and I was looking at his gunshot wound. As I'm
looking at that, MARTA police shot him two more times in the back."

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation is investigating.

--
Redistributed by:
http://GeorgiaGreenParty.org