PrsRls: Midterm Green Party Convention July 18-21

Hugh Esco gpga-news@greens.org
Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:18:36 -0400

THE GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES

MEDIA ADVISORY
For immediate release:
Thursday, June 20, 2002

Contacts:
Nancy Allen, Media Coordinator, 207-326-4576, nallen@acadia.net
Scott McLarty, Media Coordinator, 202-518-5624, scottmclarty@yahoo.com

Convention contact: Dean Myerson, Political Coordinator,
202-296-7755, 866-41GREEN, greens@deanmyerson.org

THE GREEN PARTY OF THE UNITED STATES
TO HOLD ITS MIDTERM CONVENTION
IN PHILADELPHIA,  JULY 18-21

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- The Green Party of the United States will hold its 2002=
=20
Midterm Convention in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania from Thursday, July 18 to=
=20
Sunday, July 21. The convention will take place at the Holiday Inn -=20
Independence Mall, 400 Arch Street in downtown Philadelphia. The phone=20
number at the hotel, for reservations only, is 800-843-2355.

"This is an exciting year for the Greens in Pennsylvania," said Michael=20
Morrill, Green Party candidate for Governor of Pennsylvania. "I'm thrilled=
=20
that Greens from around the country will be coming to share some of that=20
excitement with us."

The following press conferences have been scheduled in connection with the=
=20
convention:

*** Pre-convention: Thursday, June 27, at 11 a.m. at the Liberty Bell in=20
Philadelphia, on Market Street between 5th and 6th Streets (part of=20
Independence National Historical Park). The press conference is being held=
=20
in tandem with the campaign to elect Michael Morrill, Green candidate for=20
Governor of Pennsylvania (contact number: 570-372-0503).

*** During the convention: Friday, July 19, at 11 a.m. at the Holiday Inn,=
=20
featuring prominent Green candidates and officeholders (names to be=20
announced). Other press conferences to take place during the weekend of the=
=20
convention will be announced.

Press credentialing for the convention: download an application at=20
<http://gpus.org/documents/credentials3.pdf>.

"Our convention will demonstrate the next step of growth for the Green=20
Party -- to a national party with strong organizations in many states and=20
strong statewide campaigns as well," said Dean Myerson, Political=20
Coordinator of the Green Party of the United States. "We have taken the=20
2000 campaign and run with it."

Delegates from the party's 34 member states, Green candidates for state and=
=20
local office, and other guests and observers will attend the meeting.

"In addition to the very important business meeting of our National=20
Coordinating Committee, we are giving grassroots Greens a chance to=20
network, socialize, learn, and organize," said Starlene Rankin, Coordinator=
=20
of the 2002 Mid-term Convention. "We have interesting workshops, dynamic=20
speakers, fun social events, a big Green Party rally on Friday night. We're=
=20
excited about the platform hearings and are looking forward to
hearing from community, minority, environmental, feminist and other=20
progressive organizations and activists that have been invited."

U.S. Greens will welcome Greens visiting from numerous other countries,=20
including Carlos Fonesca of the Colombian Green Party;  Adamou Garba of the=
=20
Green Party of Niger, who also serves as Secretary General for the=20
F=E9d=E9ration des Partis =C9cologiques d'Afrique; and representatives of=
 the=20
Green Parties of Ivory Coast, Chad, Korea, Nepal, and Canada.

MORE INFORMATION

The Green Party of the United States
http://gpus.org
http://www.greenpartyus.org
National office: 1314 18th Street, NW
Washington, DC 20036
202-296-7755, 866-41GREEN

Convention information
http://gpus.org/convention.html

The Michael Morrill Campaign for Governor of
Pennsylvania http://www.michaelmorrill.org
570-372-0503

Index of Green Party candidates in 2002
http://www.greens.org/elections