Fwd: Why They Hate America --- in Britain

Hugh Esco gpga-news@greens.org
Tue, 30 Oct 2001 13:11:17 -0500

--=====================_30246132==_.ALT

This is from the Green Party nominee for the U.S. Senate from
Tennessee, who is currently studying abroad in Oxford England.  -- HE

> [...]
>extremist.  But as a mathematician, I can put two and two together; and,
>at the risk of inflaming American opinion, I'd like to opine why the
>British feel "they" hate "us."  That reason is state-sponsored terrorism.
>
>         America has long accused nations like Iraq, Sudan, and Cuba of
>sponsoring terrorism.  But, according to ABC News, it was the Joint Chiefs
>of Staff of the U.S. military who, in the 1960's, drafted plans to commit
>terrorist attacks.  "We could blow up a U.S. ship in [Cuba's] Guantanamo
>Bay and blame Cuba," read one report, code named Operation Northwoods.
>The American people would then demand that Castro be deposed.
>Cold "Worriers" still believe Castro wants to bring Americans to our knees.
>(I say, Bill Clinton did enough of that already.)
>
>         During the 1980's, the U.S. fought a secret war in Central
>America, supporting murderous regimes in El Salvador and Honduras that
>used death squads to terrorize civilians, murder priests and rape nuns.
>Many of the generalissimos who conducted this reign of terror were
>trained in the School of the Americas---in Georgia.  Their training
>manuals included instructions on how to torture.
>
>         Chile's dictator, Pinochet, who specialized in dropping his
>political opponents out of airplanes, came to power after a
>CIA-orchestrated coup, during which the democratically elected president,
>Salvador Allende, was murdered.  The Congo was plunged into forty years of
>chaos after the U.S.-backed dictator, Mobutu, seized power,
>following the murder of the democratically elected prime minister Patrice
>Lumumba.
>
>         The U.S. government occupied Haiti for decades and, later,
>supported that country's brutal dictators, the Duvaliers.  It sustained
>the dictator of the Philippines, Ferdinand Marcos, even after his people
>overthrew him.  The Shah of Iran persecuted his own people with our tax
>dollars; yet we pretend that Iranian anti-Americanism is unprovoked.
>
>         (I do recognize that, despite America's faults, at least we have
>the freedom to criticize the government.  In Iran, peace activists---like
>my hero Martin Luther King---would be shot.)
>
>         When the U.S. stops sponsoring terrorism, and starts cracking down
>on terrorism at home (the KKK and the LAPD), the English may start
>respecting our moral leadership.  As things stand, British newspapers are
>as likely to call George Bush "the mad bomber" as they are Osama bin
>Laden.  Despite British involvement in the war, 54% of Britons think the
>bombing should be suspended.
>
>         It's easy to dismiss anti-American mobs in brown countries.  But
>we'd be fools to dismiss the English, our closest allies; and a significant
>number of them are saying, America's not at war with terrorism: It's in
>bed with it.
>Dr. Jonathan David Farley is a Fulbright Distinguished Scholar at Oxford
>University and a Green Party candidate for Congress in Tennessee

--=====================_30246132==_.ALT

This is from the Green Party nominee for the U.S. Senate from <br>
Tennessee, who is currently studying abroad in Oxford England.&nbsp; --
HE <br><br>
Farley&quot; &lt;farley@math.Vanderbilt.Edu&gt; <br>
Date: Tue, 30 Oct 2001 10:44:01 -0600 (CST) <br>
Subject: [black_greens] Why They Hate America---in Britain <br><br>
Feel free to forward. Please note my proper address in case you wish
to<br>
send bomb threats./JDF<br><br>
630 words<br>
==================================<br>
Why They Hate America---in Britain<br>
==================================<br>
by Jonathan David Farley, D.Phil.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>As I write
this, I sit only one mile from a people who are at war<br>
with America.&nbsp;&nbsp; They are not poor, illiterate, or Muslim.&nbsp;
In fact, they<br>
are mostly white, Christian, and middle-class.&nbsp; They are students
at<br>
Oxford University, in England.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Wadham
College (which is part of Oxford University) declared war<br>
with the United States when America started carpet-bombing Vietnam.&nbsp;
The<br>
stately, ancient Oxford hall boasts a well-kept, manicured lawn,
which<br>
the students still call Ho Chi Minh Quad.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Of course,
the state of hostilities is mostly facetious (Oxford's<br>
Trinity College and Balliol College have also declared war---against
each<br>
other), but not entirely.&nbsp; The English philosopher and
mathematician<br>
Bertrand Russell, one of the most renowned thinkers of the
twentieth<br>
century, convened a war crimes tribunal in the 1960's, in which he
accused<br>
the United States of crimes against humanity.&nbsp; They may not be
shouting,<br>
&quot;Death to America,&quot; but Brits have long scoffed at American
imperiousness.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Since
September 11, Americans have asked, &quot;How could anybody hate<br>
us so much?&quot;&nbsp; And we've mostly been coming to the wrong
conclusions.<br>
(Novelist Salman Rushdie recently wrote that Muslim extremists hate<br>
America because we eat bacon sandwiches!)<br><br>
I'm not an eloquent writer like Mr. Rushdie; nor am I a vegetarian<br>
extremist.&nbsp; But as a mathematician, I can put two and two together;
and,<br>
at the risk of inflaming American opinion, I'd like to opine why
the<br>
British feel &quot;they&quot; hate &quot;us.&quot;&nbsp; That reason is
state-sponsored terrorism.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>America
has long accused nations like Iraq, Sudan, and Cuba of<br>
sponsoring terrorism.&nbsp; But, according to ABC News, it was the Joint
Chiefs<br>
of Staff of the U.S. military who, in the 1960's, drafted plans to
commit<br>
terrorist attacks.&nbsp; &quot;We could blow up a U.S. ship in [Cuba's]
Guantanamo <br>
Bay and blame Cuba,&quot; read one report, code named Operation
Northwoods.&nbsp; <br>
The American people would then demand that Castro be deposed.&nbsp;
Cold &quot;Worriers&quot; still believe Castro wants to bring Americans
to our knees.&nbsp;&nbsp; <br>
(I say, Bill Clinton did enough of that already.)<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>During the
1980's, the U.S. fought a secret war in Central<br>
America, supporting murderous regimes in El Salvador and Honduras
that<br>
used death squads to terrorize civilians, murder priests and rape
nuns.<br>
Many of the generalissimos who conducted this reign of terror were<br>
trained in the School of the Americas---in Georgia.&nbsp; Their
training<br>
manuals included instructions on how to torture.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>Chile's
dictator, Pinochet, who specialized in dropping his<br>
political opponents out of airplanes, came to power after a<br>
CIA-orchestrated coup, during which the democratically elected
president,<br>
Salvador Allende, was murdered.&nbsp; The Congo was plunged into forty
years of<br>
chaos after the U.S.-backed dictator, Mobutu, seized power,<br>
following the murder of the democratically elected prime minister
Patrice<br>
Lumumba.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>The U.S.
government occupied Haiti for decades and, later,<br>
supported that country's brutal dictators, the Duvaliers.&nbsp; It
sustained<br>
the dictator of the Philippines, Ferdinand Marcos, even after his
people<br>
overthrew him.&nbsp; The Shah of Iran persecuted his own people with our
tax<br>
dollars; yet we pretend that Iranian anti-Americanism is
unprovoked.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>(I do
recognize that, despite America's faults, at least we have<br>
the freedom to criticize the government.&nbsp; In Iran, peace
activists---like<br>
my hero Martin Luther King---would be shot.)<br><br>
&nbsp;<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>When the
U.S. stops sponsoring terrorism, and starts cracking down<br>
on terrorism at home (the KKK and the LAPD), the English may start<br>
respecting our moral leadership.&nbsp; As things stand, British
newspapers are<br>
as likely to call George Bush &quot;the mad bomber&quot; as they are
Osama bin<br>
Laden.&nbsp; Despite British involvement in the war, 54% of Britons think
the<br>
bombing should be suspended.<br><br>
<x-tab>&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;&nbsp;</x-tab>It's easy
to dismiss anti-American mobs in brown countries.&nbsp; But<br>
we'd be fools to dismiss the English, our closest allies; and a
significant<br>
number of them are saying, America's not at war with terrorism: It's
in<br>
bed with it.<br>
Dr. Jonathan David Farley is a Fulbright Distinguished Scholar at Oxford
University and a Green Party candidate for Congress in Tennessee <br>